Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sir Isaac Newton and finding common ground

I was thinking about life and how many oppositions we face.  We see Democrats vs Republicans, Eastern Medicine vs Western Medicine, intellect vs intuition, the list goes on and on. In Sir Isaac Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, he says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It makes me ponder how we can somehow tone our activism accordingly. Instead of creating opposition by being adamantly against something, couldn't we look instead for common ground? By looking for common ground and not opposing forcefully, the reaction against what we believe in would become smaller and we would have more peace within ourselves and more peace in the world around us.

I recognize this is easier said than done. We all have strong beliefs that we live from and it can be hard to find compassion for those who have strong opposing beliefs, especially when those beliefs cause others pain and suffering. Finding the common ground feels like the way to peace, though, so it feels worthwhile for us to try. 


Here's a prayer to work with: "Dear God, Goddess, Divine Spirit, I honor everything that I believe in and I ask for help in opening my heart and my mind to those who believe differently than me. Please help me to find compassion in my heart for those who oppose me and for those who oppose my beliefs. Help me to honor our differences and to find and focus on what we have in common. I ask for divine light to fill me and to fill the world so that we can find peace in who we are, and so it is, Amen."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment